Enchanted Rock Extreme Duathlon

To be a rookie, a newbie at anything is to live for!

To be a rookie, a newbie at anything is to live for!
Cronometro Finish 2011

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Can a 60 year old in good shape get better?

In March I'll be 61.  Am already balding and gray, but have kept in decent shape.  Still having some trouble deciding between endurance fitness, strength fitness, and golf fitness.  I want it all!

To be endurance fit we need less bodyfat.  My most competitive body weight for cycling and running is around 160 lbs.  I would be right there with the elite senior runners and cyclists.  At my current weight of 185 I'm no where in that league right now.  Carrying an extra 25 pounds up the hills around here is a challenge that a 160 pounder doesn't have!  My love of food makes it difficult to get really competitive in endurance sports. 

Getting strong means adding muscle and weight...not a good option for endurance sports!  Having been a weakling most of my life I'm proud of the fact that FINALLY I can do serious push-ups!  I can at least 15 in a minute...plus several difficult variations such as on two medicine balls or feet on a swiss ball with hands on medicine balls!  Those are difficult.  I can dead lift at least 250 pounds and squat the same.  I can front lift 140 pounds...respectable for a guy with long thin arms!

As for golf, I don't have the patience, intelligence, or the nerves to be a really good player which I define as a 3 or better handicap.  I've been a 6, but am mostly a weak 9.  I say weak because I can shoot 80 one day and 90 the next.  I never know which golfer is going to show.  Patience is required for quality practice and nerves allows for making shots under pressure.

I think I could be an elite senior athlete if I lost 25 pounds and focused on my strengths...cycling.  But oh how I like to eat......

No comments:

Post a Comment