Enchanted Rock Extreme Duathlon

To be a rookie, a newbie at anything is to live for!

To be a rookie, a newbie at anything is to live for!
Cronometro Finish 2011

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Kicking Sinus Problem in the ass!

I spent thousands of dollars and hours on fighting chronic sinus disease. The story is a small book. Here's a summary: sinus problems for 42 years. At age 19 noticed runny nose, multiple sneezing fits, especially around Siamese cat my parents adopted. Took Triaminic nasal pills, got some relief. While at college room heated with water, no carpets. After moving to Holland, Mi bought house in country in pine Forest. At 24 had surgery to remove nasal polyps. One year later had surgery to correct "deviated" septum and remove polyps again. Had two steroid shots to reduce swelling in and around this period. Used nasal sprays, anti-histamines, decongestants before and after surgery. Moved to Alma, Michigan and developed polyps again. Had surgery at age 27, did first allergy tests and found multiple allergies. Only after the 3rd surgery did my Doctors offer the need for testing.

Things I did to the house:
1. Added electronic furnace filters (3 different houses).
2. Removed carpeting from bedroom used hardwood
3. Changed linens EVERY Day
4. Changed bathroom towels daily.
5. Wrapped pillows and bed coverings in plastic.

Traveled to Japan for 2 weeks at age 35. Within on week I could smell odors. Upon return in two days could not. No cheese or dairy while in Japan....

Eat for your blood type: tried it didn't help. Cut out eggs, tomatoes, all kinds of stuff..didn't help.

Second allergy test didn't show ANY problem with dairy, but was positive fore several foods, molds, pollen, cats, etc.

Anti-biotics: basically I took anti-biotics 4-5 times per year starting at age 27. For ear infections, chronic sinus disease, etc.

Steroid sprays: year round for 25 years. The last being Flonase. When I didn't use this I couldn't breath through 1 or both nasal passages. Rarely could I smell odors.

Cat Scan done about age 55 revealed that 99% of my sinuses were plugged with polyps, mucus, or just plain swelled shut.

Things that helped: exercise, saline rinse (but at times I was so plugged up the saline water would make the other side.), drinking 100 oz of water a day. Stopping dairy.

Weird things, I went through a box of Kleenix a day at the worst times. I used to keep track of how many boxes I used in a week...to make a point with the Doctors that what they were doing wasn't helping.

Side effects: Developed severe anti-biotic induced colitis, had daily nose bleeds caused by steroids, suffered from Depression (but never admitted it), was suicidal (but could never have done it due to family), air travel was horrible because of plugged ears, didn't want to be with people because of difficulty talking and breathing, developed sleep apnea, gained weight.

After I stopped dairy, within 3 days I could smell odors. CATS do not cause any itching. I still get some drainage, but seldom blow my nose. Even minute amounts of dairy will cause inflammation, so I checked all my supplement and ALL foods to eliminate! There was dairy in my licorice supplement and Ragu Tomato sauce!

So, I have NO problem stopping dairy......because NOW I feel great.

No comments:

Post a Comment