Enchanted Rock Extreme Duathlon

To be a rookie, a newbie at anything is to live for!

To be a rookie, a newbie at anything is to live for!
Cronometro Finish 2011

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

About Me

60 year old as of 2009 reformed couch potato who now works for a Health Club as a certifed Spinning instructor.

Besides my 3 children, I'm most proud of my health and fitness gains since retiring at the age of 51. The knowledge gains have been passed on to many people including my kids. I hope to inspire others to follow a path to health and fitness by personal example and sharing of knowledge.

During the first 3 years of becoming fit I lost 60 pounds of bodyfat, reduced pant waist size from 40" to 31" and a dramatic improvement in life quality.

I'm a health nut who is repulsed by most modern medicine, which mainly treats the symptom but not the root cause. The only way to a healthy and happy life is through exercise and proper nutrition.

A breakthrough in my health came from the discovery of dairy and gluten "sensitivities."  Today I can smell and taste like a normal person. I use a saline rinse periodically, but have not used meds for years.  The revelation cured my sinus problems, not meds or surgery. Practical expertised backed gained from personal success is what I have to offer.

In 10-2009 my VO2 max was tested to be 51.09 which is off the scale good for +60 year old.  My HDL is 89 while LDL is 101.  I have zero calcification according to a heart scan.  Recently I ran in a 5 mile race and finished in just over 8 minute mile average and 10th place in the +60 group.

Results of my 10-2007 Wellness screen:

BMI 23.5
Waist/Hip Ratio: .86 (Under .95 best for men)
Waist: 31"
Weight: 178
Height: 6' 2 3/4"
Sitting heart rate: 56
Blood Pressure: 100/58
Triglycerides: <45 (so low the machine couldn't read)
Total Cholesterol: 171
HDL: 84
LDL: no reading (too low again)
TC/HDL ratio: 2.0 (below 4 is desirable for men)
Glucose: 88

At the worst my Glucose was 133 (diabetic by todays standards), Triglycerides over 200, Ratio 2.05, Waist 40", and BMI 30.

Having HDL higher than LDL is very rare according to Cardiologists!   HDL was 86 and LDL 81 in 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment