Enchanted Rock Extreme Duathlon

To be a rookie, a newbie at anything is to live for!

To be a rookie, a newbie at anything is to live for!
Cronometro Finish 2011

Search This Blog

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Recovery Day Routine


posted November 2006

After two intense workout days today is time to recuperate...commonly called recovery day. This is the day where my muscles recover from the micro-tears of day 1 and 2. I've had difficulty with inflammation for many years (sinus, soreness, gum problems, etc.) so I've done tons of reading and listening on the subject.

An hour after breakfast I go to the gym and bodyroll (yamuna) for about 20 minutes. This is a self-massage and is entended to force blood to muscles and to break up adhesions and scar tissue. The pressure also helps to lengthen the muscle tissue. It wants to tighten after being exercised. The point is to help the muscles heal faster. If I sat at home on the couch I would get tight and sore. Muscles need blood and good sleep to heal.

After the ball routine I'm warmed up and ready for 50 minutes on the stationary bike at 65% of my maximum heart rate which is 168.

Then I do a very short ab routine (3 minutes) front and side planks for 30 seconds each.

Follow this with a 15 minute stretching routine. I do 10 repetitions, holding the stretch for 3 seconds max. NO static stretching it cause tears in already tight and stressed muscles.

The final step is 3 minute cold first then hot plunges 3 times for a total of 18 minutes.

Does this sound like a day of rest? Burned about 600 calories with a low intensity workout that should help me prepare for the assault tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment